- We offer medically supervised alcohol detox and rehab in a beautiful luxury home environment
- Highly personalised support to address the effects of drinking & help rebuild your life. All our programs are tailor made to suit your lifestyle and needs.
- Comprehensive medical and holistic therapies offered. This includes medication to ease detox, counselling, acupuncture, massage, equine assisted therapy and executive coaching.
What is alcohol addiction?
Alcohol use can often start as a harmless social activity, but can become a significant concern when used daily, in large amounts or when used to cope with stress & problems.
A tolerance to alcohol can develop, which means more and more alcohol is needed to create the same effects.
A person’s brain changes functionally and structurally to the point where judgment & self-control is impaired and it is difficult to stop drinking. People may find that when they try and stop drinking, they experience withdrawal symptoms which makes the decision to stop very difficult.
Some of the most common signs of alcohol addiction are
- Irritability, anxiety and mood swings
- Isolation and distancing from partners, family and friends
- Neglecting responsibilities and obligations, especially in favour of drinking
- Short term memory loss
- Regular binge drinking (7 drinks in a night for men; 5 drinks in night for women) or drinking every single day
- Strain on relationships caused by drinking
- Drinking alone or secret drinking
- Feeling hungover when not drinking
- Making excuses to drink
- Needing to drink to feel normal
- Physical health issues such as gout, cirrhosis, anaemia and high blood pressure
People typically fall into two categories of problem alcohol use- binge drinkers and daily drinkers, both can be highly detrimental to health.
What is alcohol withdrawal?
Alcohol withdrawal affects binge drinkers, alcoholics and daily drinkers and happens when the drinker stops drinking alcohol altogether. The brain and body adapt to alcohol, to the point that uncomfortable side effects (withdrawal symptoms) occur when drinking stops. The longer and more severe the alcohol abuse, the more severe the withdrawal symptoms. In some cases, alcohol withdrawal can lead to death.
Symptoms of alcohol withdrawal
Alcohol withdrawal symptoms can range from uncomfortable to life-threatening and symptoms can begin 2 hours after the last drink. Medically supervised detox is recommended is important to have symptoms monitored by a qualified health professional. Unsupervised detox or going “cold-turkey”can be dangerous and even fatal.
Common symptoms of alcohol withdrawal include:
- Anxiety and depression
- Nausea and vomiting
- High fever
- Excess sweating
More serious symptoms include:
- Delirium tremens- extreme confusion and hallucinations
- High blood pressure
- Rapid heartbeat
Alcohol abuse and excessive drinking can have far reaching impacts on the drinker- it can destroy relationships, work ventures, physical & mental health and greatly impact families & children. Getting appropriate professional support is important to support the recovery process.
Residential detox and rehabilitation is a significant first step for many to get their lives back on track.
Residential medically supervised detox in a supportive and safe environment is highly recommended for those struggling with alcohol misuse. This is to ensure that medical professionals can monitor & treat your symptoms and appropriately respond to physical or mental health concerns. Breaking the cycle of addiction can be dangerous and difficult to do by yourself.
Medically supervised detox at Sydney Detox and Rehab is overseen by a medical doctor and includes 24/7 nursing staff during the withdrawal phase. Most people will have detox symptoms for 4-5 days after their last drink, but this will vary depending on the duration & severity of the addiction as well as whether other substances were being abused.
Our doctor will conduct a thorough assessment and may prescribe medication that could help in alleviating your withdrawal symptoms. Nursing staff will monitor your health throughout the day and specially trained staff ensure that your detox is as comfortable and safe as it can be.
Throughout your detox you will be supported with daily holistic therapies such as massage and counselling, nutritious chef-prepared meals and enjoyable activities such as beach walks. A program will be tailor made to your needs.
Rehabilitation is recommended after the detox phase, so that you can understand your addiction and develop the tools & resources to live a fulfilling life without the burden of addiction.